Saturday, August 09, 2014

Okanagan Ongoings 2014

Double road climb day from beach side Gellatly Road to base of Crystal mountain. Bonus was munching on the many salmonberries and wild raspberries high up on the mountain. Found a couple saskatoon berries intact and snatched the first of the ripening blackberries.

Salmonberries
Friends from Hinton passing thru Penticton saw me on a group road ride. Got the text to join them at Skaha Bluffs. Never been… after my ride, I made the drive up the steep road… hiked in on a sweltering hot day to hunt them down on one of the climbing routes.

Found the Voelkers climbing in the Skaha Bluffs

Same day, I bumped into a friend I have not seen since 1995. Found out Shawna was going in the swim around Rattlesnake Island. Crazy as it is 7.2 km in distance.
Tough to see Rattlesnake Island in the distance next to the mainland

I went for a paddle the morning of the race surprised at how wavy it was so early in the morning. Starting from the southend wharf in Peachland, I paddled direct into the wind chop with my surfski crashing down in the little waves.

Came across the early swimmers with their Swim Buddy and kayak support person. As a paddler, it is great to see the visibility of the Swim Buddys as the swimmer is not always immediately visible.

Apparently, the swim was quick towards the Island with the wind chop favourable in that direction. On the way back, it was a struggle for some swimmers as they were pushed away from their line. I realize a swim like this would be similar to a paddle where a triangular route might work best to minimize going direct into the strong chop.

Missed seeing Shawna come in, though impressive to see all the finishers
Not an event on my bucket list though in awe of the perseverance of these swimmers!

No comments: