Monday, June 07, 2010

Cali Training

My last 2 weeks of cycling were spent in San Diego. Awesome and amazing rides inland and on the coast.

One of my favourite rides called Swami's, 131 km ride with a wickedly fast group of road cyclists and triathletes. Ends on the coast and I love seeing the waves.
Rode the epic desert ride going up the Montezuma Pass from Borrego Springs. Temperature not so hot though super scary windy!

Had to get the bike in a shot before the wind toppled it over.



A good inner city mountain bike ride up Cowles Mountain and down the backside. Elevation gain is 1200'.

The riding gets technical with the rocky terrain and waterbars.
Another short but awesome ride is in the Elfin Forest at Mt. Israel recreation area. After a steep challenging switchback 2-km climb up on the "Way-up" trail, a smile creeps on my face as I hit this super technical fun roller loop.

On Thursday evenings, anyone can join in at 6 pm for the fast and furious crit-like riding around Fiesta Island. Scary but a super good workout.

Finally did the Kitchen Creek climb with my friends Tom and Terri. Resting at the store at the top of Laguna Mountain before the fun descent.

A sign we just wouldn't see in Canada!

Took the opportunity to stay with friends and animals (Lupe, Negrita, Rita & Misha) in Hillcrest. Venturing on my bike, I took a tour of Balboa Park and was amazed with the many museums and architecture.

My friend Lance was running in the Rock 'n Roll Marathon. I got up super early to watch the 6:15 a.m. race start just blocks from my residence. It was awesome to pick out Lance amongst the first 50 or so runners out of 30,000! And even cooler that he heard my cheer and smiled when he looked my way.
One of the many walking bridges across the canyons in Hillcrest.

Every Thursday morning, I can count on Don & Sue to ride from La Jolla to Rancho Sante Fe and back along the coast. I first met and rode with Don & Sue back in 1998 and the ride continues. Sue raced on the 7-11 women's team back in the day, and Don raced pretty high up too.
Ah... until next year...

No comments: