Monday, May 21, 2012

May Long Weekend - Invermere Revisited

Back in the adventure racing days, I spent more time out in the Invermere area racing the Sea2Summit stage races with the occasional training weekend. I took opportunity to stay at x-c skier friend Jeff's place for this May long weekend.

view from Castle Rock
Driving in Sat morning, I was so beat from an exhausting week that I slept the day away in the cozy house. Late that day, I was adamant to get an activity in so I went in search of the trailhead for Castle Rock on lumpy bumpy farm roads. By 7:20 pm I started the hike (I actually ran it). Pretty late start and glad that daylight stuck around a long time this time of year.

It's a great hike with 33 switchbacks and then long sections to the viewpoint. It seemed to take longer than I remembered in the past though I made it down to the car within 2 hours and before dark! 9-km round trip, 3300' elevation gain.

Sunday, went on a road ride counterclockwise around Windemere Lake fighting a nasty headwind. Looping back on Hwy 93, I jumped onto side roads Kootenay Road #2 and #3 that went through Reservation land. Continued on the Windemere Loop road which cuts past Swansea with a short section of gravel. Rode out/back to Wilmer which was short though hilly. My favourite road was out/back the road to Panorama except for the insane 18% section at the start. Total mileage 106 km, 4:15 hours, 4300' elevation gain.

Trail not for Heights-Challenged riders! Amazing views!!
Monday, checked out the mountain bike trails "Along the Johnson" and "Kloosifier". 5 stars for the Johnson trail - fun, fast, flowy, incredible views of Toby Creek from cliffsides and ridges. Short though... maybe 1 hour though there is a connector trail to Kloosifier for another 45 min of berm riding. 22-km, 2000' elevation gain.

Awesome weekend - Thanks Jeff for the stay!

No comments: