Saturday, October 25, 2014

California KOM Training

Tough to choose between finishing the cyclocross season and getting a couple epic mountain climbs in California. The training in SoCal would be more suitable for my upcoming adventure in Taiwan.

Even a police officer stopped to fill up with spring water
The always refreshing stop on-route at the North Ogden spring for water. Nice to see all walks of life of people lined up for water.

Poms for my birthday; gathering poms with Jan the neighbour
 At my couchsurfing home in Newbury Park, the neighbour’s pomegranate tree was in full production. I gleefully packed up a bagful when offered them. 
Oh, so luscious red poms!

Went in my 3rd 100-mile Deer Creek Death Ride. Ride put on by local Matt Polk. The local bike shops Newbury Park and Win’s Wheels had feedzone tents on-route.
Start of Deer Creek from PCH - photo DCDR Facebook
After the first hill climb up Decker, a menstrual cramp had me bush bound. Starting back, I played catch up the rest of the way to the first feedzone.
Marg solo up Deer Creek catching up - photo DCDR Facebook
Happy to left the feed zone with Cat 1 rider Dusty and a couple strong riders. This was my first big ride since Haute Route. Every weekend since then has been double-header cross races, with the wicked ERTC hill climb ride on Thursday nights (50 km).

back view up Deer Creek - photo DCDR Facebook
After descending Topanga Canyon, I made my decision climbing epic Fernwood to Stunt Road to avoid a death march to the finish and omit the last 20 mile loop on Piuma (a super nice climb). Good call on my part as I rode back a shortened route with 2 heat-stricken guys. Ride ended up 85 miles 9000’ elevation gain, pretty good training day.


Other epic rides:
Descent from Highland Valley road near Escondido
Desert climb up Montezuma from Borrego Springs
Descent after Gibralter climb out of Santa Barbara
Hwy 33 ride north of Ojai, ocean view to the south
Same ride to the peak of Mt Pinos to the north
View from the spring water trail near Ojai
Visits
under the table with Lilly
Halloween in Encinitas to check out the Swami's carved
pumpkins with Barbara.
Many amazing costumes, kids, adults and dogs!


High school friend Patty in Torrance
 with Garrett and Gina (6' 1" grade 11!)
Patty & Marg on Redondo beach
Santa Monica mountains in the background
 

No comments: