Tuesday, October 02, 2012

October in California

With what felt like a shortened summer starting mid-August when my toe was healing, the thought to extend shorts weather was luring... I decided to head down to California for a few weeks of riding.

Southern AB close to the US border; bikes nicely packed in the rear seat
Leaving grain elevators, hoodoos, cyclocross & dinosaurs behind
A favourite stop at the North Ogden spring
First time I've driven south in October. The fall colours were amazing! The mountains of Salt Lake City were covered with orange oak brush that were usually green, brown or snow-covered whenever I've driven through

I happened to be on-route through L.A. after my mountain bike with Mario Correa in Trabuco Canyon, so I stopped off to watch hometown boys Aaron Schooler and Mark McConnell rip it up at the Spooky Cyclocross race.
Aaron Schooler with the yellow lid storming his way to lead many laps

Mark McConnell playing cool and later taking the win. Love the Palm trees and dark sky!

Posing with the boys
Whenever I get the chance, I'll visit my high school friend Patty (Oliver) Cortesi in Torrance, CA. I managed to make my way in time for her daughter Gina's soccer game. Gina is 12 years old! Tall genes.

My visit back in 2001
not too different from 10-year high school reunion in 1992

No comments: