Saturday, August 17, 2013

Haute Route Alps - revisited

Waiting for confirmation on a media entry from the Haute Route organization, I was able to squeeze in one last Sunday group ride with the gang in Kelowna. Packed up at least 50 lbs of fresh frozen Okanagan fruit and bee pollen for the 900-km drive home on Monday.

From the plane, my view of Mont Blanc to the right, with Mt Salève ridge overshadowing Geneva

Plenty of time to book a flight, swap over to a compact crankset (thanks Aaron F), and pack for the Wed night flight to Geneva.

My old track running friend Mary was forewarned and picked me up from Geneva airport amidst the World track & field champs on T.V.

I had no idea why Mary got out of the car
of course, to press the elevator button for the car parking!
Heading to race registration. A few guys thought Mary's bike was race worthy!


Race Expo Site


Haute Route mug shot


Late entry - missed getting my name & country flag on the race#
Daily course profile provided on stickers
Handy to place on faceplate to view while racing


Famous Fountain with Le Salève in the background

Race registration went smoothly with no line-ups. If anything, Mary and I were taking lots of time in the LeMarq expo tent trying on all the fine cycling clothing.

I wasn't sure what to think of the pre-race meal!

No comments: