Saturday, October 26, 2013

Deer Creek Death Ride 100-miler - 2nd time

I rode this my first time Oct 2012 and was looking forward to it again. This time I was riding it with only 1 day rest after my 26-hour car drive down.

Weather was perfect! Still had a teeny bit of cramping the last 15 km.

We were quicker this year: 162 km, 6 hr 25 min, 12100' elevation gain

Pitstop at the Mini convertible with the huge black widow spider on the back (barely visible). The awesome group of guys I rode with, mostly from Team Serious Cycling in Agoura
scooped from the RockStorePhoto.com site

One of my annual rides with Les on Highway 33 north of Ojai - wicked fall colours
After riding 7100' on the Ojai ride, a must stop at the Belly Ache spring. Includes a 140' hike up to the source


Met up with age old track friends since 1980 from the Edmonton Columbians - Mo Marg and Susan, with Susan's partner Doug.
They ran the Santa Barbara 1/2 marathon while I rode in Ventura


Marg, Sue & Mo from a 1920's party back University days.
Maybe a little too much red wine!
Maybe red wine helps... both Mo and Sue were part of the 4x800
U of A relay team that still holds the record!


 
Dr Susan is now a dermatologist in Santa Barbara. She gave me an awesome sample of her new PhytoEssence Skin balm designed to be therapeutic. Good for any athlete before/after an event or training.


Awesome mountain bike trails surround Simi Valley

Rode Les' son's medium Trek Fuel on the wicked Hummingbird descent. I appreciated the full suspension though needed to work the weight of the heavy bike on the boulder descent sections
http://vimeo.com/1749939
check out video clip of hummingbird descent!

No comments: